SNS: Asia Letter, Q2 2021
TIME FOR INDIA AND TAIWAN TO TEAM UP
By Scott Foster
"The message to China ought to be, 'Hey, you can assume that the United States won't respond' - but that was the assumption made in June of 1950 as well, when North Korea invaded South Korea."
- US Army Lt. Gen. H.R. McMaster (Ret.), ("McMaster: U.S. is 'In Catch-Up Mode' to China in Indo-Pacific," USNI [US Naval Institute] News, 3/3/21)
"We have to play ball with the Chinese. If you are not at the table, you are on the menu."
- Joerg Wuttke, head of the EU Chamber of Commerce in China, mixing metaphors ("Deutschland AG continues to pour billions into China," The Economist, 1/9-15/21)
"We invited everybody and no-one came, except the Chinese. So they're welcome and they are easy to deal with."
- Luhut Binsar Panjaitan, Indonesian Minister for Maritime Affairs
"From now on, you want the Visiting Forces Agreement done? You have to pay. It's a shared responsibility, but your share of responsibility does not come free."
- Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte getting warmed up
"Palau's request to the US military remains simple - build joint-use facilities, then come and use them regularly."
- Palau President Tommy Remengesau,